The Staff Selection Commission is functioning under the Department of Personnel & Training, Government of India. Initially known as Subordinate Services Commission, it was set up on 1 July 1976 primarily to make recruitment on zonal basis for non-technical Group C posts under the Central Government, except the post for which recruitment was made by Railway Service Commission and the industrial establishments. The functions of the Staff Selection Commission have been enlarged from time to time and now it carries out the recruitment for Group B posts also under the Central Government. Thus, the Commission recruits for the major work force of the Central Government. This segment constitutes the most vital part of the Government machinery; the posts for which it makes recruitment are at the grass root level which interact with the public and interfaces with the implementation of the Governments policies.
The Commission comprises of a Chairman, 2 Members and a Secretary-cum-Controller of Examinations. The Headquarters of the Commission is at New Delhi.
The Commission is headed by Shri Braj Raj Sharma, Chairman.
The Commission has been provided with a Regional set up in order to ensure smooth conduct of its recruitment examinations through a large network of examination centres situated in different parts of the country for the convenience of the candidates. The Regional Offices of the Commission are headed by Regional Directors and the Sub Regional Offices by Deputy Directors.
The jurisdiction of various Regional/Sub Regional Offices is as under:
Function of Commission
1. To make recruitment to (i) all Group B posts in the various Ministries/Departments of the Govt. of India and their Attached and Subordinate Offices which are in the pay scales the maximum of which is Rs.10,500 or below and (ii) all non-technical Group C posts in the various Ministries/Departments of the Govt. of India and their Attached and Subordinate Offices, except those posts which are specifically exempt from the purview of the Staff Selection Commission.
2. To conduct examinations and/or interviews, whenever required for recruitment to the posts within its purview. The examinations would be held as far as possible at different centres and successful candidates posted, to the extent possible, to their home State/Region.
3. In particular, to hold Open Competitive Examinations for recruitment to the posts of:
i. Lower Division Clerks in the various Ministries/Departments, Attached and Subordinate Offices of the Government of India including those participating in the Central Secretariat Clerical Service /Indian Foreign Service (B), Railway Board Secretariat Clerical Service and the Armed Forces Headquarters Clerical Service;
ii. Grade C and Grade D Stenographers of the Central Secretariat Stenographers Service and equivalent Grades of Indian Foreign Service (B) Railway Board Secretariat Stenographers Service/Armed Forces Head quarters Stenographers Service and to the posts of Stenographers in other Departments including Attached and Subordinate Offices of the Government of India not participating in the aforesaid Services;
iii. Assistants in the various Ministries/Departments including Attached and Subordinate Offices of the Government of India including those participating in the Central Secretariat Service/ IFS (B)/ Railway Board Secretariat Service/Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service;
iv. Inspectors of Central Excise in different Collectorates of Central Excise, Inspectors of Income-Tax in different charges of the Commissioners of Income-Tax, Preventive Officers and Examiners in different Custom Houses, Assistant Enforcement Officers in Directorate of Enforcement;
v. Sub-Inspectors in , Central Bureau of Investigation and Central Police Organisations;
vi. Divisional Accountants, Auditors and Accountants under the Office of Comptroller and Auditor General of India and other Accounts Departments and Upper Division Clerks in Attached and Subordinate Offices of the Government of India.
vii. Junior Engineer (Civil & Electrical) in CPWD, a Group C Non-Gazetted, Non-Ministerial, General Central Services (Technical) post.
viii. Statistical Investigators, Grade IV of Subordinate Statistical Service (SSC), a Group C non-gazetted, non-ministerial post in the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation
ix. Tax Assistant ( a Group C non Gazetted Ministerial post in various Commissionerates of Central Board of Direct Taxes ( CBDT) and Central Board of Excise and Customs )
x. Section Officer ( Commercial Audit), a Group B Non-gazetted post in the Indian Audit and Accounts Department
xi. Section Officer (Audit) , a Group B Non-Gazetted post in the Office of the Comptroller and Auditor General
4. The Commission also holds Departmental Examination for promotion from:
. Group D to Lower Division Clerk Grade of the Central Secretariat Clerical Service and equivalent grades in Indian Foreign Service (B)/Railway Board Secretariat Clerical Service/Armed Force Hqrs. Clerical Service;
i. Lower Divisional Clerks to Upper Divisional Clerks Grade of the Central Secretariat Clerical Service and equivalent Indian Foreign Service (B)/Railway Board Secretariat Clerical Service/Armed Forces Hqrs. Clerical Service;
ii. Stenographers Grade D to Stenographers Grade C of the Central Secretariat Stenographers Service and equivalent grades in Indian Foreign Service (B)/Railway Board Secretariat Stenographers Service/Armed Forces Hqrs. Stenographers Service.
5. The Commission conducts periodical Typewriting Tests in English and Hindi.
6. The Commission prepares schemes for recruitment to all Group B posts which are in the pay scale of Rs 9300 to 34800 with a grade pay of Rs 42000 or below and Group C non-technical posts in the Ministries/Departmental of the Govt. of India including its Attached and Subordinate Offices in consultation with the Departments concerned.
7. The Commission conducts examinations/selections for recruitment to all Group B posts which are in the pay scales the maximum of which is Rs.10, 500 or below and all Group C non-technical posts in the Ministries/Departments of the Govt. from time to time.
8. The Commission performs such other functions as may be entrusted to it by the Central Govt. from time to time.
SSC Examinations are held in the Centres from among the following in Southern Region :
Home * About Us * FAQs * Downloads * Contacts * Examinations * Know your Application Status * Download e-Admit Card * Selection Posts * Results * Skill Tests * Interviews * Nominations * Links